Located in the corner of the Rue du Musée, the Whirling Ear is not a memorial, but one of the rare pieces of modern art that survived the World Exhibition of Brussels 1958. There it stood in the middle of a basin with fountains in front of the US pavilion. After the exhibition it was dismantled and stored in a depot of the Royal Museums where it rust for years before someone came up with the idea to give it a place in the city again.
To the left, the Art Noveau style building, lodges, since 2000, the Museum of Musical Instruments. Designed by Barnabé Guimard and built in 1899 by Paul Saintenoy out of girded steel and glass. The edifice is a fusion of Art Nouveau style and 18th-century neoclassical architectural tendencies and the former Old England department store, one of the first Grand Magasins to open in Brussels.