Old Town Market Square, Warsaw
The Old Town Market Square (Polish: Rynek Starego Miasta) is the most ancient part and the true heart of the Old Town of Warsaw. Its origins go back to city’s foundation in the late 13th century. The initial Gothic Style houses were destroyed by a fire in 1607. The square was eventually rebuilt in late-Renaissance and late-Baroque styles during the 17th century.
Like most of the buildings in Warsaw, the Old Town Market Square was seriously damaged by the bombs of the German Luftwaffe during the Invasion of Poland (1939). In 1944, after the crackdown of the Warsaw Uprising by the German Army, the square was totally destroyed by the nazi occupants.
Between 1948 and 1953, while Poland was under Soviet occupation, the Square was rebuilt to look as it did in the 17th century, when it was mostly inhabited by rich merchant families. Today’s is one of the most famous touristic attractions of the city.